A Shadow Issue: Giving Advice vs. Nurturing Growth
In this Changemaker Challenge Career Clarity Session, Carly Banks sits down with fellow yoga health coach Lynne Taillefer to talk about the difference between giving advice and nurturing growth.
The Yoga Health Coaching community has a way of revealing our shadow issues and encouraging us to work through them while providing us with the space and the tools to do so. Through her work in YHC, Lynne uncovered one of her shadow issues, something she doesn’t like to admit needs work. Like many wellness pros, Lynne realized that in her urge to help others, she sometimes jumped the gun and went straight to giving advice rather than deeply listening to what others have to say.
In Yoga Health Coaching, we learn deep listening techniques that allow our course members to explore their own stories. It’s empowering for our course members and clients to first be heard and then to sit with their problems or questions so that they might have an opportunity to arrive at their own answers or solutions.
What you’ll get out of tuning in:
- What common coaching tendency impedes our ability to coach more effectively.
- How yoga health coaches uncover and work through shadow issues with the candor and care of a dynamic group.
- How Yoga Health Coaching prepare us to provide space for deep transformation.
Links Mentioned in Episode:
- 0:00 – Our work as yoga health coaches often prompts some self reflection around how we’ve shown up in our personal lives. Sometimes we realize we need to make a shift. Lynne realized that in her urge to help others, she sometimes jumped the gun and went straight to giving advice rather than deeply listening to what others have to say.
- 6:15 – There’s a lot of value in asking others if they would like your advice. It’s also empowering for our course members to allow them to first be heard and then to sit with their problems or questions so that they might have an opportunity to arrive at their own answers or solutions.
- 9:04 – In Yoga Health Coaching, we learn deep listening techniques that allow our course members to explore their own stories.
- 10:22 – The YHC community has a way of revealing our shadow issues and encouraging us to work through them while providing us with the space and the tools to do so.
- “As yoga health coaches, we have this immense opportunity to let our clients feel deeply heard and deeply nurtured in their growth path.” — Carly Banks
- “It’s been incredible going through the Yoga Health Coaching program. We learn all kinds of really immensely positive deep listening techniques: opening your energy body to receive somebody’s grief, for example, instead of filling uncomfortable spaces . . . and invite them to go deeper into their stories and invite them to uncover their own challenges. This model of coaching has just expanded my ability to connect with my clients a hundredfold.” — Carly Banks
- “I find that this wonderful, shining community brings up a lot of my . . . shadow issues, and that’s what I want.” Lynne Taillefer
Lynne Taillefer, A.K.A. Mama Lynne lives in Québec, Canada with her husband and their two young boys. She offers educational yoga and Ayurvedic workshops for yoga instructors and Yoga Teacher Trainings, who wish to deepen and continue their evolution as teachers and students. Lynne is a Certified Yoga Health Coach and she teaches an 11 week course as well as a 7 month Yoga Immersion course to help revitalize and rejuvenate other mothers and their families. Connect with Lynn on her website and facebook page.
Carly BanksView All Articles »
The Body Thrive path led Carly to a new and exciting world where all can be accomplished with ease. Adding YHC certification training to work and parenting is proving to be easy, with the right tools. Carly’s shattering old patterns and false beliefs about herself, to become the person that she and her family deserve. Connecting? Connect and hear more about how Carly juggles life as a busy mom at Nourished living.
- Family Values: Growing Your Business with Healthy Home Structures
- Growing Pains: Personal Growth on the Path to Professional Success
- Creating Work/Life Balance with Yoga Health Coaching
- Six Figure Coaching with Yoga Health Coaching
- Structuring Success: Thriving Personally and Professionally with YHC
- YHC – A Proven Business Structure for Successful Custom Course