In this Changemaker Challenge Career Clarity Session, Carly Banks talks with Yoga Health Coach Heather Hodgson about her pathway to thrive. Heather is a YHC blogger with an upcoming blog entitled “The Un-Busying of an Over-Scheduled Life.”
Prior to YHC, Heather was leading an overscheduled life, much like many wellness pros. She was running a yoga studio, teaching yoga, trying to build her business, and working a part time job. In June, when she realized the income from her part time job did not match the amount of stress it caused her, Heather started reducing the number of hours she was working at her part time job, and she let go of it completely in January.
Heather is currently in Q3 of YHC. She has coached her pilot and her annual pass is in progress. Although she has reduced the number of hours she is working, she has been able to maintain her income level, and her stress level is much lower.
While Heather was nervous about coaching, once she started, she was surprised that because of her YHC training, she was more prepared than she had realized. Heather works the habits of Body Thrive along with her groups while she is coaching, so in a sense, she has made a job out of her own self care. Heather credits the 10 habits, as well as the theory of kaizen, with the successful realignment of her values, her career, and her schedule.
What you’ll get out of tuning in:
- Why the habits of Body Thrive are a prerequisite to a successful wellness career.
- What you need to do in order to align your career with your own self care.
- How Yoga Health Coaching allows you to design the life you want to live.
Links mentioned in episode:
- 4:30 – Stress levels that exceed your income level can start to take a toll on your health. Yoga Health Coaching can reduce your stress, reduce the number of hours you work, and help you improve your health while maintaining or increasing your income level.
- 5:50 – The structure of YHC allows you to start earning income right away.
- 6:45 – Learning and adopting the ten habits of Body Thrive actually create more time in your day and accomplish more in a shorter amount of time.
- 7:45 – Utilizing “kaizen,” small steps that lead to big change, can be applied to both the Body Thrive habits and to Yoga Health Coaching to help you steadily move in the direction you want to go.
- 10:00 – Teaching the habits includes practicing the habits, which means you’re turning self care into your business. You evolve along with your clients.
- 13:35 – A short morning meditation is a gift of time later in the day. You operate from a place that is much more grounded, so your thoughts and decisions seem clearer and unhurried and more “tapped in.”
- “In second quarter, you could be running your pilot. And a lot of people just hit the ground running and just get going right away, because you take Body Thrive first, and that is the most important part.” — Carly Banks
- “Every time we teach the habits, we’re going through them. So, it’s like turning self care into your business.” — Carly Banks
- “Honestly, the ten minutes I take [for meditation] in the morning somehow helps me have enough clarity that I’m not actually wasting as much time later in my day.” — Heather Hodgson
With over 25 years experience in the Healing Arts Industry, Heather brings a deep connection towards healing into her work: teaching weekly yoga classes, working one-on-one and in groups, and coaching members and students in the Daily Habits of Yoga & Ayurveda. Connect with Heaether on her FB page Heather Hodgson Yoga & Wellness.