Hashimoto’s Autoimmune Disease: Healing with Yoga Health Coaching
Gin was diagnosed with Hashimoto's disease, an autoimmune disease which causes the immune system to attack the thyroid, four years ago. Since then, she has set forth on a journey to learn exactly what works for her body, not only to eliminate symptoms, but to actually thrive. She shares how the habits of Body Thrive have helped her get in touch with her body, ensuring that she gets exactly what she needs while staying away from the things which will push her out of balance and toward inflammation.
Through group learning she has found that though other people may appear to get away with bad habits without signs of deterioration, these habits end up causing problems in the body and mind down the road. Gin has come to think of herself not as a person with a condition, but as a person who simply understands and is connected to the laws of nature. Her testimony can be used not only for people struggling with an autoimmune disease, but anyone who wants to truly thrive in body and mind.
What you’ll get out of tuning in:
- Why it's important for all people to get in touch with their bodies' needs
- How to understand what your body needs
- How group work can help orient you toward connectedness and thrive
Links Mentioned in Your Episode:
- 0:50 Gin describes how the habits of Body Thrive help her day-to-day energy levels and immune function
- 4:30 Gin and Cate discuss the law of Karma and how everyone is ultimately affected by their habits
- 7:40 Gin and Cate talk about getting in touch with the self and aligning energy, time, and relationships
- 11:45 Gin recounts how a group dynamic helped her to recognize that she wasn't alone, and that everyone should practice good life habits in order to thrive
- “No one is getting away with anything! And that's the law of Karma.” -Cate Stillman
- “You just have to get to that reality that's it's really about the long term.” -Gin Burchfield
- “It's not one habit..” -Gin Burchfield
- “I always hear: ‘I just wanna eat normal!'” -Gin Burchfield
- “My first ‘aha' came when I was in Body Thrive and you were like ‘this is where autoimmunity comes from.' And it comes from the constant overdoing, the constant striving for perfection; that kind of type A stuff.” -Gin Burchfield
- “Maybe somebody else has a slightly stronger constitution, maybe they're a kapha type, maybe it just hasn't bothered them as much yet, but we're all in it together; we're all headed on the same trajectory.” -Gin Burchfield
- “I'm gonna chill out over here with my green drink that's good. It doesn't mean we can't commune together, it just means we aren't communing over the same misery anymore.” -Gin Burchfield
Gin began her career in Massage, Ayurveda, Yoga and Wellness in 2001, and has been in private practice in Raleigh and Cary, NC since 2008. She specializes in Medical Massage Therapy and Ayurveda, the sister science of Yoga. Gin also serves as faculty in the Therapeutic Massage program at Wake Technical Community College since 2009 and enjoys her work as a Montessori Yoga and Anatomy Instructor through her self-developed “My Body is Science” program. She is currently studying to become a Certified Yoga Health Coach and is offering her new group-coaching format 10 week program PURE HEALTH four times per year.
Prior to this she had the distinction of working at the Chopra Center for Wellbeing, founded by renowned physician and author Deepak Chopra. Here she learned Ayurvedic Massage Therapy and Panchakarma (detoxification) administration. She served as Assistant Supervisor in the Chopra Center Spa before being recruited to work as Therapeutic Bodywork Team Lead at Wellspace, a large integrative healthcare center formerly located in Boston, MA.
Cate StillmanView All Articles »
Cate Stillman founded Yogahealer.com in 2001 to guide Yoga people into Ayurveda and Ayurveda people into yoga. Built on the value of both personal and planetary thrive and a deep connect to one’s ecosystem, community and body, Yogahealer grew into a team, 2 podcasts a week, regular blogging, an arsenal of courses to guide people into their potential, an a professional community + certification program Yoga Health Coaching. Cate wrote and self-published Body Thrive: Uplevel Your Body and Your Life with 10 Habits from Ayurveda and Yoga, an Amazon #1 Bestseller in Ayurveda, which helps people who dig yoga take a giant leap forward in their wellness trajectory with Ayurveda.
- How to Coach your Groups About an Anti Inflammatory Lifestyle
- Coach of the Month Marie Weitbrecht
- How to Overcome Resistance to Achieve Your Goals with Your Yoga Career
- What is Your Biggest Challenge as a Yoga Health Coach?
- Steps for Building New Habits for the Future
- Coach of the Month Paige Bradley-Pecoul