How to Show Up as an Expert on Your Podcast
Join Brooke, Grace, Irena and me for a YHC Podcast Training session, made for people on the podcast team or for people who will be on the podcast team in the future. Our topic is how to show up as an expert on your show. We talk about challenges and opportunities regarding podcast development. The conversation is led by Brooke and Grace, and some of their most pressing questions:
How do you use your zone of genius on your show?
How do you find and approach your show’s guests?
How do you choose your topic? Do you go wide, or do you specialize?
How much should we invest in training and knowledge?
What stands out for you as the most fun part of podcasting?
Tune in for Cate’s answers and more useful podcast wisdom.
What you’ll get out of tuning in:
- How to bring your zone of genius to your podcast
- Who to have on your show, and how to approach your guests
- How to build your authority and show up as an expert
- YHC Blog of the Week: IBS – East and West
- Gallup StrengthsFinder
- 5 Voices: How to Communicate Effectively with Everyone You Lead
- Yoga Health Coaching Course Hub Menu Bar
- Libsyn – Podcast Hosting Service
- Yoga Teachers Gone Techie – Part 1
- Yoga Teachers Gone Techie – Part 2 Riff Session
- Elsie Escobar’s Website
- Yogahealer Connectivity Kit
- Apply to be a Yoga Health Coaching Podcaster
- 6:35 – What is your expertise? What is your zone of genius? This is where you will be most useful to your audience. Bring those to your podcast, and you will automatically draw people to you.
- 22:00 – Take advantage of guest recommendations from your listeners – the people they suggest and connect with you are the the ones that will probably be the most useful to the rest of your audience.
- 28:45 – Always protect your listeners: remember that the podcast is for them, not the guest. You aren’t obligated to publish anything that won’t be useful or relevant for your audience.
- 34:00 – Invite people to your show even if they have a bigger name than you. Let them know that their work is important to you and to the people listening. By coming onto your show, they get authority, an ego boost, and the ability to repurpose your conversation’s content.
- 36:50 – If you really want to get your name out, consider writing a book that conveys your expertise and zone of genius. This will bring you authority and connections, and will be incredibly useful for your community!
- 47:30 – Don’t rely on training events to build skills, but attend events to make connections and build relationships.
- “If you can know your zone of genius, that’s where you’ll be most useful.” – Cate Stillman
- “If that’s not you and that’s not your style, don’t fake it.” – Cate Stillman
- “Get to know your own personality type.” – Cate Stillman
- “When I’m preparing someone who’s going to have a conversation with me, how can I let them know how it’s probably going to go ahead of time?” – Cate Stillman
- “Our time is super valuable. And our listener’s time is super valuable. What is the best conversation we can have?” – Cate Stillman
- “I have to protect my listeners first, always. The show is for the listeners. It’s never for the guest.” – Cate Stillman
Cate StillmanView All Articles »
Cate Stillman founded Yogahealer.com in 2001 to guide Yoga people into Ayurveda and Ayurveda people into yoga. Built on the value of both personal and planetary thrive and a deep connect to one’s ecosystem, community and body, Yogahealer grew into a team, 2 podcasts a week, regular blogging, an arsenal of courses to guide people into their potential, an a professional community + certification program Yoga Health Coaching. Cate wrote and self-published Body Thrive: Uplevel Your Body and Your Life with 10 Habits from Ayurveda and Yoga, an Amazon #1 Bestseller in Ayurveda, which helps people who dig yoga take a giant leap forward in their wellness trajectory with Ayurveda.
- How to Talk to More Leads: Coaching Gym with Christina Sjoberg
- Product Market Fit for Your Wellness Pro Career
- Coach of the Month: Marcella Fulco
- Next level Wellness Pro: with Emily Glaser, Ayurveda
- Group Membership Coaching: Difficult Members, Difficult Situations
- DM’ing to Boost Your Sales for Wellness Pros